Saturday, May 30, 2009

I had a small problem the other night and took a trip to the emergency room where I thought I would have a quick EKG and go home, but they wanted to keep me for tests the next day. They have a torture device there called a treadmill. A few more seconds on that and I would have confessed to being a terrorist.
Anyway, the day was boring and a little worrisome but I had my iPod and I learned just how comforting it can be listening to boys singing spiritual songs.
For example, Hear my Prayer from the Choir of Saint Paul’s Cathedral, with treble Jeremy Budd.

One of the very first songs that I heard and one that drew me to this sort of music was Stanford’s Magnificat in G sung by Jeremy Budd. I came across a clip of it on YouTube and I thought it was a really pretty song so I bought the CD and one thing led to another. Before I knew it I was hooked.
Jeremy has a nice voice and he does a fine job with Miserere, Magnificat, Feast Song for St Cecilia, and I Will Lift Up Mine Eyes.
The only unfortunate thing here is that his voice doesn’t come through as strong as it should on other parts of this CD. In the title song the choir sings much louder than him, but I don’t think it’s weakness on his part. Maybe the producer could have balanced it better in the recording studio or, too, maybe that’s just the way it sounds in the cathedral. It’s not bad, it’s just that I’ve heard better.

Still, it's a good CD and if anyone is looking for great choir music you can’t go wrong with St Paul’s Cathedral. They are always in the top tier of cathedral choirs and they sound great here.

2 comments:

  1. First off, hope you're okay! :-)

    To me, the music itself should determine how "strongly heard" any part should be in the performance of a piece. Pulling examples off the top of my head, I love the sound of totally "blended voices" in a piece like, "Jesu, joy of man's desiring." On the other hand, in an arrangement like "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing," by the Choir of Kings College, with the sopranos soaring above the melody, there's a sound that always moves me to tears. Or, finally, a piece like "Miserere mei, Deus," which combines the two and adds snippets of solo work.

    I can lose myself in any of them...listening to each, over and over, concentrating each time on a different part, then listening to the whole...simply allowing the music to wash over me.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell you know your music. That's an excellent way to describe the listening experience. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete