Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I would like to say Happy Birthday to everybody’s favorite choir boy, Tom Cully, who turns 15 on July 2nd.
-----------------------------

Phoenix boys choir

Just in time for the 4th of July we have a CD by the Phoenix Boys Choir titled Let Freedom Sing. It’s a good way to pay tribute to America’s independence day, the anniversary of when our ancestors won their freedom by licking the Brits… oh, no hard feelings from our English cousins, I hope.

This is the first CD that I have from this choir and it’s pretty good. It was recorded in 2002 and has a cute cover with the boys dressed as the 1776 signers of the Declaration of Independence in powdered wigs and tricorn hats.

This album has several patriotic songs such as America the Beautiful, God Bless America, The Star Spangled Banner and the one they always sing when they board a plane to go on tour, This Is My Country.
The last song is George M. Cohan’s Patriotic Fantasy, a medley of American songs.

Most of the other songs are from America’s past, like Alexander’s Ragtime Band, The Battle Hymn of the Republic, Working On the Railroad and When the Saints Go Marching In.
There are also some international standards like Somewhere Over the Rainbow, Hymn to Freedom and How Can I Keep From Singing. Actually, some of the songs are sung by and with the men’s choir who are very good.

In 2001 the Phoenix Boys Choir won a Grammy award for Best Choral Performance for their recording of Penderecki’s Credo. I think I'll give that one a try. They began singing in 1948 and have become quite popular, even touring around the globe.

I like this CD but I don’t expect I’ll listen to the patriotic songs all that often. I mean, it’s not something to listen to every day, but it’s good to have them at this time of year to get in the proper mood. On the 4th we will raise the flag, shoot some fireworks and play this CD.

No comments:

Post a Comment