Sunday, March 8, 2009

Silk Road

The newest CD from the Vienna Boy’s Choir is called Silk Road. I had my doubts about it at first because it is so different from the other music that I associate with them. I believe this is what used to be referred to as World music.

With this album they are showing us what they can really do and it’s impressive. I find something new to like about it every time I play it.
I picked up a copy at their concert last fall when they toured the US and it has music they have collected from around the world. From Scandinavia to Asia to New Zealand they picked Polkas, folk songs, spiritual music and more.
At the end there is a very powerful version of Mozart’s Requiem for which I always turn up the volume and say to heck with the neighbors.

This autumn the DVD of the motion picture, Silk Road, will be released. The CD is music from that film so we will get to see the boys in some of the exotic locations from their tours. They even appear with those terracotta warriors which were unearthed in China. Something to look forward to.

2 comments:

  1. If you are looking for an outstanding WSK album, might I suggest, Exsultate Jubilate recorded in 1990. This album features the solo work of Max Emanuel Cencic. One of the top all time treble soloist in my opinion. Max's mother was the voice coach for the choir for a number of years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen that CD on BCSD and wondered about it. I'm trying to track down a copy now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete